What you need for for bike packing –
- You will need to take you nike apart and put into a disposable bike bag
- Pipe lagging
- Duct Tape
- Nylon bands – for packing and compressing bike bag
- Knife * – disposable – from pound shop
- Spanner * – for pedals and headset
* – Pack in bike bag, as you will need them to unpack the bike on the beach.
Why not a hard bike box?
As carrying this whilst you are touring would be very difficult! – and posting it back isn’t an option. You need something you can leave behind. Even a canvas bike bag would be an extra 4kg to cycle with.
British Airways transportation
Carrying bike on BA – counts as hold item, therefore you will not be charged for this, but it does vary depending on flights.
British Airways will accept non-motorised bicycles up to 190cm (75in) in length, provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag.
Their policy for safe transportation of a bicycle is –
- Pack the bike in a protective case or bag
- Remove the pedals or fix them inwards
- Fix the handlebars sideways
- Deflate the tyres to reduce the risk of damage